It is expected that all Moiola K-8 School students maintain an appropriate appearance suitable for school. The purpose of the following dress code is to ensure everyone’s safety, and to encourage an overall school environment of success and learning. Furthermore, by adhering to the dress code, students will arrive at school prepared and ready to participate in their education. We appreciate your support in upholding an appropriate dress standard. In selecting clothes for school, please follow these guidelines approved by the Fountain Valley School District Board of Trustees:
· All straps of garments must be three (3) inches wide and must cover undergarments.
· The midsection of the body must be covered at all times.
· Examples of unacceptable upper garments include: bare midriffs, brief garments such as jogging tops, halter tops, crop tops, tube tops, net tops, tank tops, spaghetti straps, plunging necklines (front and back), cut-up clothing, bathing suits, and see-through strapless or backless garments.
· Pants and shorts must fit snugly around child’s waist and must not touch ground.
· Sagging pants or shorts are unacceptable.
· Belts may be worn, but need to be completely tucked into loops at all times.
· Skirts must be no shorter than 4 inches above the knee.
· Examples of unacceptable lower garments include: exceedingly baggy or sagging pants or shorts; chain, initial, or hanging belts of any kind; cut-up clothing, ultra mini skirts, bathing suits, jogging shorts, exercise tights.
· Shoes must be worn at all times.
· Thongs and slippers are not permitted.
· Soles are not to exceed one inch in height; heels are not to exceed 1-1/2 inches in height.
· Shoes must have a back strap.
· Hairnets, bandannas, or other such grooming aids are not acceptable.
· Hair styles, cuts, wigs or color that disrupt the instructional program are not allowed.
· Colored or dyed hair must be a natural color.
· Hats are not permitted during classroom instruction.
· Hats can be worn outdoors only as sun protection.
6. Gang attire
· Clothing or other accessories considered to be gang attire are not acceptable.
· Earrings, jewelry, accessories, and wallet chains, which may cause a distraction or present a safety hazard, are not acceptable for school.
· Piercing other than in ears is not appropriate for middle school.
8. Tattoos, which are visible, are not permitted.
9. Sunglasses are not permitted on campus unless prescribed by a doctor.
10. Other unacceptable clothing
· Garments with words that are suggestive or have double meanings of lewdness, obscenity, violence, vulgarity, or advertises services or products not permitted to minors may not be worn.
· Clothing/apparel containing symbols, pictures and/or slogans oriented toward degrading culture, race, gender, religion, or ethnic values or glorifying sex, inappropriate social behavior are unacceptable.